Man banned from keeping animals after kitten suffers burns in scalding hot bath


A man has been prohibited from keeping animals after his eight-week-old kitten suffered serious burns when she fell into a scalding hot bath.

Aiden John Reece Malone, aged 28, took his kitten Morgana to the vet after she suffered burns to her paws and abdomen.

RSPCA inspector Jilly Dickinson attended the vets following a call about Morgana’s condition. She detailed how the tiny kitten had suffered extensive burn wounds to her legs, paws and underside, as reported by Hull Live.

Inspector Dickinson said: “Morgana was in great discomfort, despite being on pain relief. She could not sit or lie down properly and was crouching in a very uncomfortable, unnatural position.

“Her eyes kept drooping shut as if almost falling asleep but then she was nodding back awake. When being moved or touched, she would squirm and vocalise until she was no longer being touched.

“She was wrapped in a blanket to stabilise her position and, whilst resting her head on the blanket, she seemed to fall asleep.



Morgana was signed over into the care of the RSPCA where she has been receiving treatment
Morgana was signed over into the care of the RSPCA where she has been receiving treatment

“However, she appeared to be very tired but unable to find a position which made the pain and discomfort more bearable, despite the medication she was on. It was heartbreaking to see her in such a state.”

Malone told the court that the kitten had got underneath a gap in the bathroom door and had subsequently fallen into the bath which he had left unattended.

The court heard how the vet report stated that: “In my opinion, the needs of Morgana have not been met to the extent required by good practice due to the person responsible for the welfare of this animal failing to provide a suitable environment.”

Malone said he was an inexperienced cat owner and he had taken the cat to the vet on three separate occasions as he was concerned about her condition.

He accepted that he did not take such reasonable steps to provide a suitable environment for Morgana to live by failing to ensure the door to the bathroom was secured enough to avoid Morgana ever entering the bathroom without his knowledge.

He also explained that he had since changed the bathroom door to ensure a similar incident would not happen again.



The eight-week-old kitten suffered serious burns after falling into a scalding hot bath
The eight-week-old kitten suffered serious burns after falling into a scalding hot bath

Malone pleaded guilty to failing to provide a suitable environment for the pet, when he appeared at Beverley Magsitrates’ Court on December 20.

He was sentenced to a two year conditional discharge and ordered to pay £350 in costs as well as a victim surcharge of £21.

He was also banned from keeping all animals for two years and he cannot appeal this disqualification.

Morgana was signed over into the care of the RSPCA where she has been receiving treatment. She will now be re-homed.

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.





Source link

Leave a Comment